You might have seen beautiful and soft videos in Youtube or anywhere in other sites, like those make up tutorials or interviews. Usually if we are to use our mobile phones for shoot and there’s a light from the ceiling, it will create shadows when shooting.
Right light does the trick that is why most amateurs use this to have a better video, even professionals. There are a lot of reasons why you should use a ring light when shooting a video.
Thus, we have created 5 benefits of using ring light for better video so you have a better idea what you should expect in using one.
What is a ring light?
It is a handy multi-purpose light tool that is being used in photography, might be for shooting videos or taking pictures. As it name implies, it is circular in shape like a ring and different types can be setup on a stand or attached on a camera.
What are the benefits of using a right light?
- Catch lights or eye lights for close up shots – This is the most known benefit of a ring light for beauty shots or a portrait shot and mainly used for commercials and fashion spreads. It creates a highlight in the subject’s eyes by creating the halo effect drawing the attention of people watching the subject.
- Fill light to even the lighting at the subject – Not like with other types of lights, right lights can provide a diffused, soft lighting because it provides an impressive wash of light pointed evenly at the subject. This also happens if the ring light is attached to the camera because the light is coming straight from the camera.
- Halo Shadow makes a perfect outline – If the ring light is your only light and is attached directly from the camera, it creates that perfect halo shadow which outlines the subject. Perfect for interviews, or if the shoots require a close-up shot with no backgrounds then creating that halo shadow will give a spice in the video.
- Soft and flat lights to improve lighting – It is perfect for interview videos as it creates no facial shadows and also hides wrinkles and blemishes. It evens the color and the lighting at the subject with clearer shot.
- Perfect for macro shots – If you have decided to shoot for small things or really small or tiny subjects, ring light can be your best friend as it gives you a perfect soft light that it provides which evens out its illumination at the subject. It evens the lighting of the subjects from all sides.
Why you should use a ring light?
If you are planning to shoot a close-up video or wanting to shoot instructional videos with only you as the subject, then ring light would be a best fit for a better video. With all the benefits stated above, I’m sure your video will look the same as what you usually see in Youtube.
Just take note, that there are perfect scenes when to use a ring light and when not to. Example of when not to, if the subject is wearing a pair of glasses and you are taking a close up shot, ring light makes the shot really distracting as it creates a scattered light on the glasses.